Skip to main content

Food: Cold Weather Sandwiches



Temperatures are dropping and perhaps so is your bank balance. Colder weather can bring with it higher heating costs, more expensive grocery bills, and of course, the unexpected expenses of the holiday season. Cold weather sandwiches provide a versatile and low-cost meal option.

You can make a sandwich using bread, tortillas, egg roll wraps, hoagy bread, flatbread, naan bread, or ingredients rolled in lettuce leaves. Yet another option is to prepare the ingredients as a stand alone meal.

This evening I am going the more traditional sandwich route. I am preparing a chopped pork sandwich on a standard hamburger bun with chopped Baby bella mushrooms, green onions,  and a half slice of Havarti cheese. I marinated the pork in garlic oil and lemon juice. Afterwards, I slow-cooked the pork in vegetable broth on a low heat for about an hour or so. Next, I lightly sautéed the Baby bella mushrooms and green onions in basil oil.

I lightly baked the hamburger buns in the oven for a  few minutes. Next, I take them out of the oven and add the Baby bella mushrooms, green onions, and Havarti cheese to the bottom slice. Afterwards, I add the top slice and then it is time to eat. 





 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Divatosity: Imperfectly Finished

A couple of months ago, I had a spray painting party of sorts...and the results were mixed. I started off with a dark paint that did not contain primer.  It was a disaster. I removed the dark paint and then decided to use a light green as a pop color...but,that was a failure as well. Finally, I chose a pewter color which thankfully covered up my past painting sins.

Divatosity: A Windy Evening

This year Halloween night was blustery and cold. But, we managed to make the best of a windy situation. The kids in our group had a blast trick or treating  and the adults spent a majority of the time laughing with one another. We had just as much fun as the kids. This to me is what Halloween is all about.